Non Members: £99 (excluding VAT)
Members: £99 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: Heath House Training & Conference Centre, Cheadle Rd, Uttoxeter, Staffs, ST14 7BY
01 January 2020
09:30 to 15.15
Mathematics: How to assess maths for mastery
How do we assess maths for fluency, reasoning and problem solving in every lesson? This one-day course looks at planning and assessing mathematics under the Primary Mastery Maths Curriculum for outstanding teaching and Ofsted’s expectations of mastery.
The aims of the course are to help to inform teachers at KS2 what and how to plan for and assess pupil progress in the national curriculum for mathematics. The course will focus on the three aims of the mastery curriculum; mathematical fluency, reasoning and problem solving and how these headings will inform the formative assessment of every aspect of the curriculum.
This hands-on course will consider the freedom of schools to apply their own assessment criteria to school documents as well as looking at the purposes and uses of assessment to the class teacher. This will include looking at accessible ways to record pupil progress throughout the year.
Participants will gain formative assessment ideas for use within their own schools and will have considered how summative assessment can be designed to support ongoing formative assessment.
In-School TrainingThis course is available as in-school training. Please click here to view the in-school course details.
The course is aimed at teachers, subject leaders, head teachers and governors in Primary schools at KS2
By the end of the course participants will:
- Understand how to plan and assess all three strands of curriculum
- Have in place, secure formative assessment ideas for application in their schools
- Consider how summative assessment can be designed to support ongoing formative assessment
- know what outstanding teaching in maths looks like
- be secure and empowered by knowing that they understand how to plan for and assess mathematics as a connected body of knowledge
Session 1 9:30-10:45Requirements of the new national curriculum for mathematics
- What is the implied focus in mathematics at key stage 2?
- Task 1. Three activities that will require your teacher assessment in terms of NC criteria
- What do we record in our mark books?
Session 2 11:00-12:15What should we be assessing?
- Problem solving
- How do you know they understand a concept?
- Can they apply reasoning to their approach?
- How do they approach a problem mathematically?
- Task 3
Session 3 1:00-2:15How does the scheme of work affect assessment?
- How important are mathematical links?
- Task 4
- How do we record formative assessment as accurately as possible?
- How often will summative assessment take place?
- Task 5
Session 4 2:30-3:15Assessment for learning
- Is progress being made with all pupils?
- Task 6
- Level descriptors to yearly outcomes
- What assessment will focus on
- Assessment policy in your school and how it filters through to the year groups
- Assessment records
- Progress awareness and intervention strategies
Tutor information and feedback
The tutor is educated to Masters Level in Mathematics and Education, holds NCETM accreditation for leading professional development, and is a respected lecturer, adviser, trainer and teacher. Twenty five years of experience gained working in Primary, Secondary and Higher Education both in the UK and Europe developed his knowledge and understanding of the teaching and learning of maths, at all levels. He is known for his practical approach to the subject and, for improving progress and results, in the most challenging of environments. He has built a reputation as being an excellent adviser, trainer and teacher.
What were the strongest features of the training:
Folder and powerpoint- Very useful to bring back to staff training sessions
Great ideas for approach to assessment
Subject knowledge of the tutor and willingness to talk about issues affecting us
The tutor! The resources given out
Excellent ideas for the three areas of fluency, reasoning and problem solving
Resource, practical activities,discussion
Practical ideas and progression from abstract,concrete to written
Being shown Kangaroo Maths
Membership special offers
26 September 2016 Members: First delegate rate: £175.50+vat Members: Additional delegate rate: £125+vat per delegate