Non Members: £185 (excluding VAT)
Members: £166.50 (excluding VAT)
Course Length: 1 Day
Venue address: Heath House Conference Centre, Cheadle Road, Uttoxeter, Staffordshire, ST14 7BY
01 January 2020
09:30 to 15:30
Aimed at: The course is aimed at Primary teachers, NQTs support staff, subject leaders, head teachers and governors in primary and middle schools Course details Participants will have the opportunity to explore the nature of mathematical reasoning and problem solving and how it can be embedded throughout the maths curriculum. We will explore ways to encourage pupils to become independent problem solvers.
- Developing good and outstanding maths teaching by supporting children in applying their learning
- Improving the delegates understanding of what is meant by mathematical reasoning.
- How to embed mathematical reasoning into every maths lesson
- Putting problem solving at the centre of maths lessons.
- How to teach children to think mathematically.
- How to develop children’s mathematical reasoning.
- Practical activities to take straight back to the class
Method of Tuition
The course will be a blend of tuition and activities.
Detailed course outline and session time table
Session 1: 9:30-10:45
- What is mathematical reasoning?
- Encouraging mathematical reasoning with teacher questioning and discussion of strategies
Session 2: 11:00-12:15
- What is mathematical problem solving?
- Are word problems the same as problem solving?
Session 3: 1:00-2:15
- Does investigative mathematics have a role to play?
- How to use problems to highlight mathematical structure and relational understanding
- Structuring the stages of problem solving
Session 4: 2:30-3:45
- Embedding them all in planning, marking and assessing
Level of subject knowledge course materials. Flexibility of instructor/tutor, answering of questions and interactivity.
The use of equipment to help learning and discussion of reasoning.
Practical activities used throughout Very approachable and knowledgeable trainer.
Membership special offers
13 June 2016: