Helping schools to Develop Outstanding Middle Leaders
Over the course of the summer term, we have provided a new three day course; Developing Outstanding Middle Leaders. The course is designed to help schools to meet specific criteria identified within the inspection handbook, to show that the school is:
- developing the quality of middle leadership;
- facilitating the succession planning and development of future leaders in the school;
- developing the capacity of its middle leaders to bring about further improvement;
- ensuring that middle leaders pursue excellence, modelling professional standards in all of their work;
- ensuring the accuracy of middle leaders’ monitoring and evaluation skills.
The course has proved very popular with schools and delegates alike.
“All sessions were well planned, thought out and informative, they gave me skills I needed to analyse data, write SIPs, observe lessons, and deal with difficult situations. Documents and information, such as the language, Ofsted use, was useful. Spending time with other members of SLT made the training very useful in developing whole school approaches.”
“Thank you! I have really enjoyed the 3 days. I certainly feel it has developed me as a leader and will impact on teaching and learning at school. The support has been brilliant.”
The course is a rigorous three days and is designed to help leaders and managers understand the practical aspects of their role and acquire the basic skills used by inspectors to evaluate performance, make judgements, and identify priorities for improvement.
The course helps participants to:
- UNDERSTAND the roles and responsibilities of a middle leader.
- GAIN a deeper understanding of the self-evaluation process and it’s links to school improvement.
- BECOME proficient at making and communicating judgements about pupil outcomes, provision, and leadership and management.
- DEVELOP the basic data handling skills used to monitor and evaluate attainment, progress, and achievement.
- ACQUIRE the necessary work sampling skills to quality assure teacher assessment and validate judgements about pupil progress.
- INTRODUCE essential lesson observation skills used during focused observations
- LEAD a successful school improvement project.
- ESTABLISH the link between evaluation and school improvement planning and present a practical model to support the planning process.
- KNOW your own leadership strengths and your priorities for development.
- DEMONSTRATE leadership effectiveness through school improvement work.
- BENEFIT from a tutor who is an inspector and an experienced Headteacher.
Delegate responses express the value that they place within the course:
“The course has enabled me to become more confident in my management role as a whole and I feel I have developed significantly in a short amount of time”
If you would like to look at the course content in more detail please visit the course page HERE.